Planning / Packing
Hazel Hut is named after the historic Hazel mine claim located in the hills above the property. This unique 350 ft² 2-storey timber frame cabin is built from wood milled on-site & all-natural clay walls, plasters & floors + solar-powered lights throughout.
Located at the top of Highway 31A in Retallack (halfway between New Denver and Kaslo).
Please Note: NO dogs, fireworks or outdoor campfires
Only groups that rent all 3 cabins can bring their dog.
Sorry…but there’s a neighbor with a dog that barks non-stop if there’s a new dog at the property, so bringing your dog could be very disturbing for other guests. If you absolutely MUST bring a dog, please message me IN ADVANCE to see if its possible. To motivate people to follow this rule, a dog owner who just shows up with a dog will be asked to leave without a refund.
If you need more reasons: I was attacked by a dog in July, resulting in a 1 month injury & my own dog is also at the property sometimes
THIS IS WHAT IS PROVIDED:
- kitchen equipped with dishes, utensils, propane stove/oven & dish soap
- hand sani-stations, cleaning & sanitizing supplies
- beds for 6 people with mattresses & 2 spare pillows for people who forget theirs (bring your own pillowcase)
- solar powered lights throughout cabin
- year round water tap located outside the cabin, (if the water freezes you will be notified before arrival to bring water/melt snow)
- outhouse & tp
- firewood for cabin & sauna is supplied
- parking for 3-4 vehicles, if you are bringing trailers please let me know
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- bring your own sleeping bag or sheets & pillows
- slippers or hut booties, the floor can be cold on arrival
- maps & the information you need about the area
- coolers & dishtowels
- matches or lighter (because cabin matches often go missing)
- sauna towels
- bring your own communication device in case of emergency
- battery pack/charger for your cell phones & devices (there’s no solar power in the winter)
- There is no cell service or wi-fi at the property, 15 minute drive to cell service
- There is parking provided for 2wd vehicles in the lower driveway
- 4wd/high clearance can usually drive up to Hazel Hut, but during deep/wet snowfall it maybe necessary to park at the bottom & walk 2 min up driveway. There is a toboggan for hauling stuff up/down.