Hazel Hut has year round vehicle access, with easy access for families. There are a wide range of year round activities in the vicinity of the cabin for all ability levels.
There is a variety of activities in the summer, ranging from nearby short hikes and bike rides to challenging scrambles, hikes, and mountain biking.
- Hiking & biking on the K&S Railway and Old Cedars Trail *the K&S can be cycled 30 km from Kaslo to Bear Lake
- Swimming & fishing at Bear Lake and Fish Lake
- Mountain bike trails in Sandon, Retallack & Kaslo area…see trailforks.com
- hikes and scrambles (see Where the Locals Hike in the West Kootenays for descriptions of a few hikes) eg Mt Brennan & Whitewater Creek Trail
- 2 beautiful towns/large lakes…New Denver (Slocan Lake) and Kaslo (Kootenay Lake) are only a 15-20 min drive with many shops, cafes and activities.
- Bear Lake (0.5 km drive) is a common spot for ice fishing and skating.
- Kids can go x-country skiing and snowshoeing near the cabin.
- Adults can access a wide range of ski terrain from 2000’ tree runs on whitewater ridge to the 3000’ descents on London Ridge, and the classic 4500’ descent on Mt Brennan.
- Long season with many late spring skiing opportunities, for example Mt Brennan is skiable til end of May.
- Guests with sleds might want to access ski terrain from logging roads along Highway 31A.
- Nakusp hot springs & Ainsworth hot springs are 45 min drives
Please Note: It is necessary that guests avoid tenures of ski operations during their operating season and do not cause disturbances with sleds, for example the Retallack Lodge is located across the highway.