Activities & Galleries
Hazel Hut has year round vehicle access, with easy access for families. There are a wide range of year round activities in the vicinity of the cabin for all ability levels.
There is a variety of activities for all ability levels in the summer. Ranging from nearby short hikes and bike rides to challenging scrambles, hikes, and mountain biking.
- Hiking & biking on the K&S Railway and Old Cedars Trail *the K&S can be cycled 30 km from Kaslo to Bear Lake with plans to restore the trail to Sandon and Nakusp.
- Swimming & fishing at Bear Lake and Fish Lake
- Mountain biking numerous bike trails in Sandon, Retallack & Kaslo area…see trailforks.com
- Numerous hikes and scrambles (see Where the Locals Hike in the West Kootenays for descriptions of a few hikes) eg Mt Brennan & Whitewater Creek Trail
- 2 beautiful towns/large lakes…New Denver (Slocan Lake) and Kaslo (Kootenay Lake) are only a 15-20 min drive with many shops, cafes and activities.
Summer in RetallackSee images »
- Bear Lake (0.5 km drive) is a common spot for ice fishing and skating.
- Kids can go x-country skiing and snowshoeing near the cabin.
- Adults can access a wide range of ski terrain from 2000’ tree runs on whitewater ridge to the 3000’ descents on London Ridge, and the classic 4500’ descent on Mt Brennan.
- Long season with many late spring skiing opportunities, for example Mt Brennan is skiable til end of May.
- Guests with sleds might want to access ski terrain from logging roads along Highway 31A.
- Nakusp hot springs & Ainsworth hot springs are 45 min drives
It is necessary that guests avoid tenures of ski operations during their operating season and do not cause disturbances with sleds, for example the Retallack Lodge is located across the highway.
Winter in RetallackSee images »